Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Digital poet: Jason Nelson

I explored three of Jason Nelson's works, "this is / isn't a pandemic flu," "uncontrollable semantics," and "conversation." I then answered the following questions in relation to these works...
How does it make you feel?
I really like the concept of Nelson's work. I think it is unique and creative. It opens up a new world of exploration, taking yourself through these unfamiliar realms. I feel a sense of intrigue and anxiety when I search through these pieces of digital poetry, particularly reading the text of "this is / isn't a pandemic flu."
What does it makes you think about?
I guess what on earth these creations mean... what is the substance behind them? Some appear more obvious than others. The majority are obscure and vague (to me), however this strangeness attracts me to his works and I would love to find out more behind his poetry.
What are the other media forms that it uses, or is similar to?
At a really superficial level they resemble some similarity to a video game (in terms of the graphics and user controlled options).
If we accept that Jason's works are poetry - How do you "read" digital poetry like that?
There are all the elements of traditional poetry embedded in his works.... only with a twist. When an individual reads a traditional poem, the person creates a world of sound, text and imagery inside their own heads. What a poem resembles to them when they hear it. In my opinion what Nelson is essentially creating, is the imagination of an individual when they read a particular poem, all the "goings-on" inside one's mind projected in digital form. Quite fascinating really.

No comments:

Post a Comment